Sunday, September 6, 2015

Whole30 Reflection and What's Next!

The Whole30 Challenge was definitely just that, a challenge! Throughout the month I had to keep reminding myself that "to err is human" and that I am only that, human. I am not going to try and hide the fact that I didn't successfully complete it.

With the stress of school starting and the fact that I work part time in a restaurant (think lots of amazing delicious food in front of me), I made it 12 days without a drink. This doesn't really make me that happy. I know that I could've completed the 30 days without a drink. I caved and had one, mostly because I was sick of being harassed
by co-workers, (what is this, high school??) and really just wanting to fit in and stay for a drink after my shift. After that 12 days I decided I was okay with having a beverage or two if I wanted one. The rule I made for myself was that I would not drink wine or beer, just vodka/sodas. To this day, over 45 days since I started the Whole30, I haven't had any beer or wine. This I think has made the most difference.

I also had a day where I was overwhelmed, upset and stressed. To cope with that I fell back into old habits and used food to make myself feel better. Boy, I was wrong. Eating boxed mac n cheese and Ben and Jerry's on Day 22 made me feel anything but better! The next day I felt hungover, bloated and lethargic. It was crazy! I never knew that food could make you feel hungover. It took a few days for my system to reset itself and for me to feel good again. Even now, I have moments where I slip back into my old snacking routine and am finding that sugar makes me tired, really really tired. It seems to me even more of a reason to avoid sugar as much as possible.

Now that I am finished with the Whole30 I have a new outlook on food. Here are a few of my thoughts:
Stuffed Peppers!
  1. I cannot and will not go back to my old way of eating
  2. When I was doing the program my mood was more stable and I didn't feel as agitated or depressed
  3. I was overall happier and in a more positive mood
  4. Eating more raw and whole foods makes me feel awesome
  5. I  had little to no gas (whoot whoot!) and my system was much more regular
  6. Less dairy for me is better!!
  7. Spices are definitely my friend
  8. I don't need to drink alcohol, and if I do, 1 drink is plenty.
  9. Sugar makes me feel sick, hungover, lethargic and really alters my mood
  10. I have to do a better job of planning my meals, no more reaching for "easy" foods
Gotta love veggies from the garden
What the Whole30 program also did was open my mind to what really is in the foods we eat and how food affects our whole self. Sugar is seriously in everything! It's crazy!! Also I found that now I don't really enjoy some foods that I used to love. Ice cream and other desserts that I used to love are far too sweet for me. BBQ sauce and ketchup are sweet to me. I find just drinking seltzer is the perfect replacement for a sweet treat.

My plan going forward is this:
  • Eat less dairy (the occasional burger with cheese is okay)
  • Eat gluten free whenever possible
  • Avoid/limit my alcohol consumption
  • Take the time to look up new recipes and try new foods
  • Veggies are my friend, and we should get better acquainted 
  • Quality breakfast!
  • Don't be lazy and reach for processed "snack foods", take the time to prepare food
My plan is to do my best to not fall back into my old ways and focus on listening to my body to figure out what foods are best for me. I also plan on trying the Whole30 again.  I am thinking that doing it around Thanksgiving or Christmas will help keep me on track and away from all the sugary treats that come with those holidays. I am continuing to run and stay active! I have two big events this fall which I am looking forward to, the Reach the Beach 200 mile road race (I am part of a 6 woman team!) and the Rock n' Roll Savannah Marathon!!
My co-workers "adding sugar" to my salad!

The final thoughts I have to close out this post are that I still need to focus on who I am as a person and really not let other peoples thoughts, comments or actions take away from my path toward healthy living. It isn't worth it and doesn't benefit me in any way. This 30 day challenge was an opportunity for me to reflect on who I am and what is important to me and really helped me to refocus myself on my ultimate goal - living a fit healthy happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment