Tuesday, February 18, 2014

T-Minus 100 Days

It's Marked On My Calendar....May 25, 2014

Less than 100 days from today I will be standing on the starting line of the Vermont City Marathon getting ready to start my longest run ever, 26.2 miles. I am still stunned that I am signed up for a race of that distance. But, with every long training run the dream becomes more of a reality.

Over the past month or so I have continued to push myself. I ran my first ever 14 mile run, 16 mile run and 18 mile run and this past weekend I completed 20 miles. It was cold and crisp out, but I felt great, actually that is a lie. It was cold and windy and I felt like crap. I was tired at the end, my legs ached and my lungs burned, but I finished, barely. For me it was not only a physical battle (running on snow covered dirt roads didn't feel great on the ankles, legs or butt), but it was an extreme mental battle as well. I didn't do an out and back run or a nice big loop, it was a 5 mile loop that we (my running friends) did 4 times. If that doesn't create a war in your head I don't know what does. Each time we circled around to where the cars were parked I thought about hopping in my car and taking off. But I didn't. Instead I refueled and changed out my frozen water bottle for a fresh one and continued to slog on.

The last lap had to be one of the most difficult things I have ever experienced. I wanted to stop and curl up in a ball, or better yet, knock on someone's door and ask for a ride to my car. But I didn't do any of those things. I kept on running (very very slow at times), I fought the continuous battle with the little voice in my head, the one that says "you should stop, you're tired, just walk". In the end I made it, 20 whole long miles. My reward for finishing the run, a big yummy calorie filled breakfast at one of my favorite local diners - The Wayside. Mmm, mmm, coffee, bacon, eggs, french toast, chocolate milk. Heaven. 
 
Winter Running

my winter running kicks
This is the first winter that I have kept up my training through the ice and snow. In the past I have either hibernated or focused on snow sports (snowshoeing, skiing, sledding). But this year I was determined to not fall behind in my training or let the cold weather and snow slow me down. What has helped immensely is the group of people I run with. I don't think I would have the motivation to run on my own during the winter, especially the longer distances. My friends keep me on track and motivated (especially when the weather isn't ideal). I feel blessed to have people to train with who are seasoned runners and marathoners as well as people who are working toward finishing their first marathon too.

3/8" hex head sheet metal screws
How, do you ask, do I not fall on my face during the winter. Before this year I didn't know how people ran in the snow either (and to be honest, I thought they were all a little nuts). The trick is screws. Yup, that's right, I put screws in the bottom of my shoes. Hex-head sheet metal screws to be specific. They have a raised hex shaped head that stick out from the bottom on the shoe. They are easy to put in and you don't even know they are there. With the screws I have better grip on ice or snow covered roads. I am still careful and try to slow down or take smaller steps on sketchy patches - because the screws don't make you invincible!

Keep On Moving

With winter hopefully nearing it's end (haha, yeah right!), I am constantly aware of what the date is and what month we are in. Between now and May 25th I have other races and other goals to work on. This weekend I am doing an obstacle course race at Norwich University. In March I am running in the Savin Rock Half Marathon in Connecticut.While in San Francisco in April I am signed up for the Sasquatch Scramble, a 13.1 mile trail race! The weekend after returning from CA I running in the Middlebury Maple Run Half Marathon in my hometown. And the last race I will run before my marathon is the Vermont Corporate Cup 5k race right here in Montpelier.

 My Spring calendar is full and I am beyond excited about it! Some people have started calling me crazy and that I am addicted to running. That doesn't phase me one bit. You bet I'm crazy and yup, you bet I'm addicted. There are worse things in life to be addicted to than running!






No comments:

Post a Comment