Monday, July 20, 2015

Another Trip Around the Sun

Man, I was cute!
I turned 31 yesterday, crazy I know. I don't feel 31 and most people tell me that I don't look 31 (so either I don't, or they are just being nice). In thinking about my birthday I thought about where I thought I would be at 31. When I was in college I can tell you exactly what my life plan was. If you asked me about my life I would have told you I would be married with two kids (boy and girl obviously). I would own a house and have a great job. I would be the picture perfect happy American in a happy American family, living the dream.
Marathon finisher!

Instead, where am I? Divorced, living with my sister (love you M!), with a super awesome four-legged kid. I have college debt, a car loan and credit card debt. I work multiple jobs, but my main job is fulfilling and makes me happy, but definitely doesn't help me pay all my bills (hence the increasing credit card debt). I've lived short term in Georgia and New Jersey. I've traveled to Italy, Ireland and Ecuador. I've run 16 half marathons, 1 full marathon and 3 triathlons (with plans to do many many more). I've gone out to eat alone, camped alone and gone on some wonderful hikes and kayaks solo.

My 4-legged kid Odin
Quite a difference don't you think? Yeah, me too. But you know what, that's okay. Its okay that things didn't turn out the way I thought they would, because I beyond happy with my life. I wouldn't say I believe in fate, but I do believe that things happen for a reason.

From here I start to look forward to my next 31 years. Here's what I hope my next 31 years are filled with: adventures, health, love, friends, travel, good food, marathons, triathlons, rest and happiness!!

I love traveling to new places!
To jump-start the next phase of my life I am going to re-focus on my health. We all slip up at times, and recently I have been a bit to lenient with my eating habits. It's summer, with hot humid days come BBQ's, ice cream, etc. Yes, there are fresh fruits and vegetables, but as always I have been reaching for the grains, wheat and dairy instead (think pasta salad, cold beer, cheese and ice cream).  It is time for a reboot. I need to kick my sugar habit once and for all. That's why today was Day 1 of Whole30 (check it out! http://whole30.com/).

I know it is going to be extremely hard to give up wheat, grains, legumes, dairy, alcohol and all sugar for 30 days. But what this program will help me to do is wipe the slate clean and hopefully re-wire my brain to not constantly crave sugar. The one thing I really like about this program is that it is clearly stated that it is not a weight loss program. You are not allowed to weigh yourself or measure yourself for 30 days. I love this. Because although losing a few pounds would be great (and probably good for me), I want to not crave sugar and want to be in control of the foods I eat. When I eat I want my body to feel good so I have the energy to continue to do all the things I love!

Day 1
I didn't have to work, so was puttering around the house all day. It was a long weekend, so I napped and relaxed. It wasn't really an active day (although the weather was beautiful). 

Breakfast!
Breakfast
Bulletproof coffee (black coffee blended with ghee and coconut oil)
Scrambled eggs with spinach and avocado

Lunch
Smoothie (spinach, almonds, mango, frozen blueberries and half a frozen banana)

Dinner
Grilled chicken (seasoned with olive oil, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper)
Steamed yellow squash over a bed of spinach
Salsa (I checked, it was made with all approved ingredients - in the future I plan to make my own).

Overall it was a successful day! I didn't really have any sugar cravings today, although I know that I am either going to learn to tolerate black coffee, or stop drinking it all together. The bulletproof coffee was okay, but not my usual with cream and sugar. The other thing I think is going to be hard for me is the after dinner sweet treat. As I sit here and type this post, all I want to do is go to the fridge and get myself a bowl of ice cream, or bowl of berries with whipped cream. Oh the humanity! It's only day 1, but that means I only have 29 to go! I can do this, and will be happier and healthier in the long run.

 I will continue to post updates on my progress including pictures, recipes and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment